Friday, September 22, 2006

Is career planning an oxymoron?

I believe career planning is an oxymoron for sure. To substantiate my claim I have this data in front of me:

Out of world's top ten billionaires
Five are college dropouts -
No. 1: William Henry Gates III - Harvard University, dropout
No. 3: Sheldon Adelson - City College of New York, dropout
No. 4: Lawrence Joseph Ellison - University of Illinois, dropout
No. 5: Paul Gardner Allen - Washington State University, dropout
No. 9 (tie): Michael Dell - University of Texas Austin, dropout

Though this isnt a conclusive piece of evidence, but yea a very strong piece of evidence. When I see around me the white collar workers working for one of these dropout bosses incessantly, I question myself they had their career planned then why the hell are they working for some dropout? Did the dropouts learn something miraculous ,when these workers wasted time in the classrooms?

We do have examples of successful people who had their career planned, but they succeeded when it was mostly unplanned or loosely planned.Does it make my belief true that career planning is an oxymoron?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe with Bloglines